They are thick, hardened layers of skin that develop on the bottom of our feet. The difference between the two is that calluses grow on the outer layer of our skin, while corns grow inwards, and inside our skin.

🌟What are the causes?
Basically, corns and calluses form when your skin tries to protect itself against friction and pressure. Thus, corns and calluses tend to appear on the pressure points of afoot, and it could be worsened by wearing ill-fitting shoes. Each person’s pressure points are unique, therefore, the position of where corns and calluses develop differs from person to person. A podiatrist would be able to tell you why you are developing corns in certain areas by observing the way you walk. The risk of developing corns depends on a person’s foot type and joint mobility. Those who have existing foot deformities are also at higher risk of developing corns and calluses.

🌟How can we remove corns and calluses?
If you have corns, you should see a podiatrist or doctor to have it removed. A podiatrist will use a scalpel or blade to de-nucleate the corn and scrape it out. Don’t worry, it is usually not a painful process — it’s a bit like going to a pedicurist. Since corns are caused by prolonged friction and pressure in the same area, it is likely to grow back again after removal. If a patient’s corns grow bac quickly after being removed, a podiatrist will prescribe orthotics, which are custom-made padded shoe inserts, to help relieve pressure at certain points of the foot.

If you are healthy, not diabetic and have no vascular issues (any abnormal condition of the blood vessels), you can file your calluses at home using a nail file or an emery board.

🌟How can we best prevent corns and calluses?
The best way is to reduce repeated pressure and friction in the same area of your foot. This often means wearing shoes that fit you well, have plenty of support and have room to wiggle your toes — sports shoes are a good option. Wearing socks also protects your feet and reduces friction.

Another great option is to get a pair of prescription foot orthotics from a podiatrist. Lastly, you may want to purchase protective pads or coverings over areas on your feet that tend to rub. (Article by HealthToday, Lim Yuan Shuang, Podiatrist)