The Top Killer Disease in The World – Heart Disease 全球头号杀手 – 心脏病
According to the report from the Department of Statistics Malaysia, over 18,000 people in Malaysia died from coronary heart disease, account for the highest cause of deaths in 1998 (15.6%). Coronary heart disease kills 50 Malaysian every day！
The Causes of Heart Disease 心脏病的成因
Many heart diseases occur with the formation of blood clot on top of the cholesterol plaque on the inner wall of a coronary artery. The blood supply is severely reduced, resulting in chest pain and electrical instability of the muscle tissue. If the blood supply to a portion of the heart completely stops, the lack of oxygen and nutrients needed for its normal functioning will cause irreversible damage or death.
The causes of heart disease are not medically certain, but some of the important factors include:
- One of the hottest areas of medical research, ‘Silent Inflammation’ is now recognized as the culprit that destabilize cholesterol deposits in the coronary arteries, leading to heart attacks and potentially even strokes.
- Those with high cholesterol levels are four times as likely to have heart disease, as the build-up of cholesterol will narrow their coronary arteries, blocking the blood flow.
- Smokers are three times more likely than non-smokers to die from heart disease, as nicotine and chemicals in tobacco can cause coronary arteries to crack open and cholesterol to build up.
- Those with high blood pressure are three times as likely to have heart disease, as it causes coronary arteries to shrink.
- Female diabetes is twice as likely to have heart disease and male have a 50% greater risk.
- Overweight people are at risk from high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes, and therefore, at risk from heart disease.
- Stress causes the heart to be off rhythm, creates an endocrine imbalance, cause irregular heartbeat and can cause a heart attack.
Several of these seven factors in combination will greatly increase one’s chance of heart disease.
|About your Heart 认识你的心脏
The normal heart is a little larger than a first. It pumps blood continuously through the circulatory system. Each day the average heart ‘beats’ 100,000 times and pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood. In a 70-year lifetime, an average human heart beats more than 2.5 billion times.
Amazing Facts 惊人的事实
- High cholesterol levels are not only found on fat persons. The trend for lean or average persons to gain high cholesterol is rising.
- The chances of getting cardiovascular disease among women after menopause are much higher, since the amount of estrogen reduces. It is estimated that 30.4% of the women above 45 years of age have high cholesterol problems.
- Men, with a bald at the top/crown of the head (male pattern baldness), have 32% higher chances of getting coronary heart disease.